Before you buy your first tin of paint for your Perth commercial office fitouts, there are rules, office fit out requirements and legislations you need to be aware of. Perth office fitouts are easy, you just need to know what to be aware of. What could have been an easy process of getting an application might turn into a hefty fine or awkward conversation with your building manager without the proper preparation. Here is a rundown of what you need to know and how to do it.
Is A Building Permit For An Office Fitout Needed In Perth?
A common question asked in Perth for commercial office fitouts is if you will need a building permit. Building permits are a difficult legislation to understand. Section 9 of the 2011 Building Act says it is an offence to do building work without a permit. The only exceptions to this are listed in parts 2 and parts 5.
The Department of Mines, Industry Regulations and Safety says if you answer yes to any of the six following questions, you will need a building permit:
- Will it adversely affect the structural soundness of the building?
- Will it change the use or classification of the building?
- Will it adversely affect the safety and health of the building’s occupants or users?
- Will it affect the way in which the building complies with each applicable building standard?
- Will it affect other land? (such as encroaching or affecting party walls)
- Will it be subject to a heritage order, agreement or permit?
What is Building Compliance?
You may find it difficult to answer question four. You are probably asking yourself, what is compliance? According to The Department of Mines, Industry Regulations and Safety, building compliance is affected if:
- The ways in which paths of travel to reach emergency exits are affected.
- How access requirements (paths of travel, corridor widths, door widths, doorways, and more) are affected.
- How partitions that will affect or relocate existing services like sprinkler systems, smoke detection, alarm systems and exit signs are affected.
It might be unclear if any of the above are affected in your office fitout. But if you’re uncertain, it is recommended you get advice from a professional office fitout company.
What Applications Are Needed For Office Fitouts In Perth?
A development application gives you permission for a specific use of a building or a development. A development application is needed when a building has never been used as an office or commercial space before or if you are carrying out work on a heritage listed building. To receive a development application you will need to contact your local council.
What Certificates Are Needed For Office Fitouts In Perth?
Certificate of Design Compliance
A certificate of design compliance is needed to acquire a building permit from the permit authority. The certificate of design compliance needs to be in an approved form and contain a statement from the building surveyor that the plans conform to building regulations and standards. This certificate is needed when the changes are being made to an existing office or occupied building.
Certificate of Construction Compliance
A certificate of construction compliance is needed when changes or occupancy is happening to a previously unused or occupied space. This certificate is needed to acquire an occupancy permit. This certificate also needs to be in an approved form and contain a statement from the building surveyor that the plans conform to building regulations and standards.
What Are The Steps To Get My Commercial Office Fitout Approved In Perth?
The process to get your commercial office fitout approved in Perth may be daunting. Do not worry, take it slow and steady. Prepare yourself. Rushing the process has potential to create unwanted problems. Here are the steps you need to undergo:
- The first step is to get approval from your building manager. There is no point starting the process of applying for permits and certificates if the owner of your building will not allow the changes.
- Secondly, get an approved company to check the compliance of your Perth commercial fitouts requirements. Get this company to draft up your plans so communication with relevant authorities is easier. Office Fitout Professionals can do this for you.
- Step three you need to submit the appropriate paperwork to their respective authorities and councils. Office Fitout Professionals cannot do this for you, only assist you.
- When respective paperwork and fees are submitted, a representative will come to approve the plans for your office fitout.
- When you have approval in writing, you can begin construction of your commercial office fit outs Perth
- Lastly, you can apply for an occupation permit.
The steps are difficult to understand and you want to be sure to get all the permission and meet all the regulations you need to. If you need any help along the way, the Office Fitout Professionals are ready and waiting for you.
How Long Does It Take To Get Approved?
Typically, it can take up to 25 days to get everything you need approved by the council. Pay attention to this. If you do not, you may close business before you get approved, and you are liable to lose 25 days or more of activities. If you are already paying a lot of money for your commercial office fitout, 25 days of idol time for no reason can be extremely damaging.
Does Your Commercial Office Fitout Require A Registered Building Contractor?
According to regulation 13 of the 2011 building services regulations, your office fitout needs to be conducted by a registered builder if it is “builder work”. A definition of builder work can be found on the building commission website. For example, if work exceeds $20,000 it will be considered builder work, and you will need a registered builder.
Where To Get Your Commercial Office Fitout
Office Fitout Professionals offer a complete turnkey solution to office fitouts in Perth. This is what separates us from other commercial office fit out companies Perth. We are with you every step of the way. We will design your plans, help you get approval, and arrange the relevant tradies, contractors and builders you need. We understand that your office space is important to maximising the productivity in your business. We will help you reach your full potential with commercial fitouts Perth.